Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Golf Advertising . . .

I've seen this new Callaway Golf commercial floating around the internet the past few days, yet I haven't seen it on television yet -- although I'll admit my Golf Channel viewing has been scarce.



While I appreciate the humorous sentiment, I do question the . . . well, class of the advertisement.

A great interest of mine is in sports advertising, particularly in a grandeur thematic idea of perpetuating and exploiting the athlete - fan relationship as a means to further the sport (and the athlete). As I've made abundantly aware (particularly in with regards to social media), the ability to facilitate a connection between an athlete (golfer) and his/her constituency is prerequisite for commercial success.

Where television commercials do not provide direct insight into the lives of athletes, they do provide a symbolic entrance into the personality (even if that personality is fabricated by an advertising agency / public relations department) of an athlete.

Hence, I present a collection of my favorite golf commercials -- albeit the Tiger Woods version . . .























As a compliment, my favorite sports commerical following the similiar competition, athlete - driven theme.


1 comment:

Valderama 1997 said...

The ads are great. Hard to believe Tiger has been around that long? . . . I seem to recall when you were only 8 years old you walked along with him - in the fairway - at a college tournament in the Chicago area. . . Time flies.